Merging two languages without duplicates

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Merging two languages without duplicates

Unread postby sylvaind » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering for a long time now if I could merge two languages without having duplicates and haven't found the answer here.
I usually download french subtitles, but when they're not fully translated I'd like to get the missing lines from the english version (that is full). When a line is translated in both french and english, it would only keep the french one.

I hope I made my self clear.

Thanks ;)
sylvaind
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Merging two languages without duplicates

Unread postby jfs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I can't immediately think of a good and simple way to achieve this with Aegisub.

The first major issue in automating a merge like this would be to know whether there is any guarantee that the timings of subtitles in the two different languages are identical. If the subtitles are produced separately, i.e. one subtitle file is not a translation derived from the other, they probably don't match perfectly in timing. There may even be differences in how long sentences are split into multiple subtitles. (E.g. the French translator may have been more verbose and produced two subtitles for some dialog where the English translator only produced one subtitle, so there isn't a one-to-one correspondence.)

If I were to do something like this, I would probably write an Automation script that expects the two translations to be pasted into the same file, and somehow marked to distinguish the source of each subtitle. For instance, use the Actor field to indicate which translation each subtitle came from. Then have the script remove all subtitles from one of the sets where there is a (significant?) overlap with any subtitles from the other set. That's my suggested approach.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Re: Merging two languages without duplicates

Unread postby sylvaind » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the answer.

In deed, even if most of the subtitles have matching timings, some actually differ.

I will see if I find the time to work something out.
sylvaind
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Aegisub Help