Japanese Subtitle Encoding

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Japanese Subtitle Encoding

Unread postby NEMOTO YUTA » Sat May 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I make Japanese subtitles includes Kanji. The ASS file made by Perl script(original:csv).
When I open the file on Aegisub, following message appeard:
"Aegisub could not narrow down the character set to a single one. Please pick one below:"
The choices are Shift-JIS and x-mac-cyrillic.
Other Japanese ASS files (Hiragana) do not appear that messege.
1.Why the messege appear?
2.What should I do?
NEMOTO YUTA
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Japanese Subtitle Encoding

Unread postby jfs » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 am

When you open a text file that isn't Unicode UTF-8 or UTF-16 (and has a BOM at the start), Aegisub tries to guess what text encoding the file is. The guess is based on statistical analysis, so there is always a risk it guesses wrong.

When your file contains Japanese, and the list suggests it might be Shift-JIS, that's probably correct.

The best way to avoid Aegisub having to guess at encoding, and possibly asking you to pick a correct one, is to make sure the input files are in a Unicode encoding. If you can modify the Perl script to produce Unicode files instead you will definitely have solved the problem for the future.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Re: Japanese Subtitle Encoding

Unread postby toszi » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Thx for advice, because also I have problem on this field.
toszi
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Aegisub Help