Manual line breaks

Typesetting help and general discussion.

Manual line breaks

Unread postby Kyouma » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:49 am

Hi!

I saw that most groups prefer to do manual line breaks on longer lines. I always wondered how they decide where to do them and where not because I'd like to do that too.

Thanks in advance!
Kyouma
{\b1}
{\b1}

Re: Manual line breaks

Unread postby jfs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:27 pm

I'd say, look at the grammatical structure. Place breaks where you don't separate words that belong together.

For instance in this line: Yesterday, I saw him crossing the bridge wearing a brand new jacket.
If you break the line between "the" and "bridge" it ends up reading awkward, but if a break between "bridge" and "wearing" will be much more natural.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby Kyouma » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:37 pm

That's what I noticed many times. And that line breaks aren't done when a character's face is close to the screen (Because the upper line will be in the face, then?).
Would you say it's okay to just leave the line breaks to the left and right margins or is it better to do more manual line breaks (two short lines or one long line)?

Thanks for your response!
Kyouma
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby jfs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:25 pm

Shorter lines tend to be more comfortable to read, just not too short. At least that's my preference.

The automatic line breaking prescribed by the SSA format, inherited by the ASS format, and implemented for that in VSFilter and libass, specifies that when a line becomes too wide to fit between margins, it gets broken in the middle, such that the upper line is longer if they can't be equal length. That usually gives a reasonable visual presentation, but manually breaking lines to suit the text can certainly improve on it.
There are also alternate line breaking modes, to choose that the upper line should become the shorter one, or to do a simple overflow break and fit as much text as possible on the first line. Or you can disable it altogether.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby Kyouma » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Okay. Well, there's one more thing I'm not sure about. The vertical padding of the subs. What is your preference there?
Kyouma
{\b1}
{\b1}

Return to Typesetting