Raw has native language hardsubs

Talk about anything else you might want to.

Raw has native language hardsubs

Unread postby aggrogahu » Thu May 28, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm planning on doing fansubs for 匆匆那年* and the only video I can get has Mandarin Chinese characters hardsubbed into it. I originally thought to have the English subs timed with the Mandarin subs since having the two lines pop in and out at times that aren't synced would've been distracting, but the timing of the existing Mandarin subs are pretty horrible, often cutting out before the audio of the line finishes, and it barely leaves any time to read the English line. Any ideas on how to approach this problem? I'm thinking of just doing my own timing for the English subs separate of the Mandarin subs. Also, the original video is in super wide 2.40:1, so I'm considering adding black space to make it 16:9 and putting the English subs in the black space so that there's more distance between the two subs, though I don't know how to add black space to change the ratio of video. Any thoughts? Is this a good idea?

Thanks

*Mandarin language internet drama that doesn't have official English subs as far as I've searched. If they already exist, or if there is another reason I shouldn't fansub this, please tell me.
aggrogahu
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Raw has native language hardsubs

Unread postby jfs » Sun May 31, 2015 7:41 am

You can use the AddBorders filter in Avisynth to add extra space around the video. You should probably ask on Doom9 if you have more questions about how to do that.

But note that there are two problems with that approach.
First is that if you add borders, if someone actually does have a super-widescreen display they'll get black borders on all four sides of the picture when viewing your version, and the actual picture won't fill their display properly.
Second is that reading subtitles outside the picture area can be tiring, at least to me. It also looks very strange if you end up having some subtitles that overlap somewhat into the picture area.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Re: Raw has native language hardsubs

Unread postby aggrogahu » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:05 pm

jfs wrote:You can use the AddBorders filter in Avisynth to add extra space around the video. You should probably ask on Doom9 if you have more questions about how to do that.

But note that there are two problems with that approach.
First is that if you add borders, if someone actually does have a super-widescreen display they'll get black borders on all four sides of the picture when viewing your version, and the actual picture won't fill their display properly.
Second is that reading subtitles outside the picture area can be tiring, at least to me. It also looks very strange if you end up having some subtitles that overlap somewhat into the picture area.
Thanks for pointing me to the right direction in regards to adding the black bars.

I tried my approach for a bit, and it turns out that having different timings for the two lines of sub are still distracting regardless of putting the English line in the black bar area >_<. I settled on another solution, which seems okay so far, which is time to the audio in the conventional way, but treat the start/end times of the original sub track as keyframes, basically having them synced when reasonable, but adjusting the timing if it becomes impossible to read.

As for the other issues, I might just have to ignore for now the demographic of people who own super-wide displays. If I somehow get requests for a 2.40:1 release, then I'll gladly put it together. Although, that creates a problem of having 3 lines of text stacked on each other (1 for Mandarin, up to 2 for English).

I haven't run into subs spilling over from the black bar area to the picture, so that hasn't been a problem.

Thanks again for the reply.
aggrogahu
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Miscellanea