Differentiate between two fonts of the same name

Typesetting help and general discussion.

Differentiate between two fonts of the same name

Unread postby sup » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 pm

I have two fonts, both have the same name but they differ in styles, one is "Heavy Condensed" and the other is "Black condensed" (see:
black_condensed.png
Black Condensed
black_condensed.png (98.28 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
heavy_condensed.png
Heavy Condensed
heavy_condensed.png (101.71 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
). Both are installed but Aegisub sees only one. How can one pick which one to use? So far, I can do that by removing on of them from ~.local/share/fonts but that is somehow cumbersome.
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Re: Differentiate between two fonts of the same name

Unread postby jfs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:57 pm

My best guess is that "Heavy Condensed" is treated as a "normal" weight version and then "Black Condensed" gets treated as a boldface variant. So you'd have to select one and then enable Bold to get the other. Otherwise I have no idea.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby sup » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Doesn't seem to be the case at all. Italics works, setting bold does not change anything.
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby jmourao » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Hello! (^_^)

I haven't tried it myself, but from what I've read/seen, FontForge can change the font's internal name (and much more) pretty easily. There's a portable version of it at PortableApps.com, as well as short tutorials on youtube.

Good luck. :)
jmourao
{\b1}
{\b1}

Return to Typesetting