Aegisub formatting being removed by Handbrake?

Typesetting help and general discussion.

Aegisub formatting being removed by Handbrake?

Unread postby zprewitt » Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 am

I've been tasked with burning in english subtitles for a 90 minute documentary film. Someone recommended Aegisub, and after fiddling with it for about 30 minutes, I eventually figured out how to add subtitles, format them and export a .SRT file. I then exported a sample of the movie with the .SRT file burned in using Handbrake. Problem is, the formatting (color, size, and font) seems to have been removed. Is Handbrake at fault for the formatting glitches here, or is it Aegisub? Can anyone recommend a different program/workflow? Thanks.
zprewitt
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Aegisub formatting being removed by Handbrake?

Unread postby jfs » Wed May 25, 2016 8:22 pm

SRT files can't contain advanced formatting.
You must use an encoding-tool or video player that supports the ASS format, to get the full formatting Aegisub supports.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Re: Aegisub formatting being removed by Handbrake?

Unread postby enchant » Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 pm

To see first hand what jfs is saying, open that .srt file you created with a simple text editor like notepad. Look at some of the subtitles with your fancy formatting (color, font size, etc.). You'll see nothing but the timecode and the text.
enchant
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Return to Typesetting