Turn video orientation from Landscape to Portrait

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Turn video orientation from Landscape to Portrait

Unread postby Newrone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Hi,
I need to subtitle a video made in Portrait mode but Aegisub opens it on its side, in Landscape mode (i.e. in standard 16/9 format instead of 9/16, as it was made). I can't find any option to turn it the right way up.
VLC Codec info gives "Orientation" as "Left bottom" instead of "Top left" so it plays correctly in VLC.
Any ideas?
Newrone
{\b1}
{\b1}

Re: Turn video orientation from Landscape to Portrait

Unread postby LeSaint » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 am

Hello Newrone,

You could try to change the video provider in Aegisub:
View -> Options -> Advanced -> Video -> Video provider
=> Keep note of your original setting, as you should keep the original setting for any other situation.

The second option would be to re-encode your video to get the expected orientation, with the "Orientation" property defined as "Top Left" (which I presume is the default value).

The last option I could think of would be to define the script resolution in File -> Properties to define the Portrait resolution in the script. In aegisub, the subtitles will look stretched or compressed (because the video in aegisub will remain rotated), but in VLC, you should have a proper rendering. If possible, avoid fancy effects, and just define your subtitles styles. To define your styles, you can open a Dummy Video with a Portrait Resolution, this way you'll have the proper rendering for your subtitles.

Good luck :)
LeSaint
LeSaint

Unread postby Newrone » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks.
I couldn't change properties in File>Properties (Frame width: 848 & Frame height: 480 were fixed).
Changing the video provider between FFMpeg & Avisynth didn't change the orientation.
I eventually re-rendered the video in Avidemux with a 90° transform. It then opens correctly in Aegisub (& VLC orientation is reset at Top Left).
Newrone
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby LeSaint » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 pm

That's odd for the subtitles properties. You tried to change the .ass file properties in aegisub, right? Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Well, you managed to find the right workaround, so at last you can create your subtitle.

Try again to change the subtitles properties, on save your subtitle as .srt file, without any effect (this way, the subtitles style will need to be defined by the player).
LeSaint

Return to Aegisub Help