Pasting into AEGISUB

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Pasting into AEGISUB

Unread postby nrumboll » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the wonderful help.

I am sorry for my ignorance, but I have a notepad generated (manually... tedious!) srt file that I need to modify and would like to do it in AEGISUB from now on.
I have tried pasting in the file different ways, without success:

1. I tried importing the srt. No luck. Parse error at line 1.

2. I tried changing the name to .ass and open it. Blank

3. I have tried pasting in the subtitles, then PASTE OVER for start times. THe subtitles come in nice and clean, on the Text column, but I cannot manage to paste in the entry and exit or start & end times...)

What should I do?
Attachments
QTP subtitulos ingles copy.srt
(75.86 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
nrumboll
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Pasting into AEGISUB

Unread postby jfs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm

It looks like part of the arrow in the first subtitle is wrong. It uses an em-dash or similar instead of a standard ASCII hyphen (U+002D) in the arrow between the time stamps.
If you just delete the first subtitle with a text editor it's probably fine, it doesn't look like it's supposed to be part of the actual script either way. Otherwise, copy-paste the arrow from another subtitle to replace the first one.

It seems someone edited the file by hand, possibly in MS Word or similar program with "smart" features, I can't imagine the wrong dash character appearing in other ways.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby nrumboll » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Wow thanks for the prompt reply.
The file was generated with TEXTEDIT on mac (is that a problem)
The first line in the attachment actually is not in the original file (see attachment now...) so it was not the problem.
Any reason why this would not import?

Thanks again!!!!

Nico
Attachments
QTP subtitulos ingles.srt
(75.81 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
nrumboll
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Unread postby jfs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Ah yes, subtitle 3 is missing a space after the arrow between the time stamps. Another later subtitle also has an additional space before the arrow, that also causes it to fail reading.

(I really ought to make the SRT reading more accepting of slightly-out-of-spec files.)
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Return to Aegisub Help