Font. location, style, and etc.

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Font. location, style, and etc.

Unread postby atsushisakahara » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:21 pm

I am making a documentary film. I don't know how to do..
Please kindly advise or suggest. I want to put English sub.

1) My film begins with white, not black.
If I want to use white for letter, I think I can use out line and shadow.
What is a good font and parameter for outline and shadow?

2) On white screen, there is letters in Japanese.
Aside from subtitle for voice in Japanese, I want to put English for the Japanese.
But the location of the English for letters are different from subtitle
for voice in Japanese.

Timing is at the same time. How can I manage those? How can I put some letters on a
different location on the screen?
First of all, Is it possible?

If I use style manager, everything will be changed.
That's not what I want.

Thank you very much in advance.

Atsushi
atsushisakahara
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Font. location, style, and etc.

Unread postby jfs » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:26 pm

1)
White text with black outline, and optionally also black shadow, is very readable on almost any background.
For videos in up to 1280x720 resolution, Aegisub's default style of 2 pixel outline and 2 pixel shadow is normally fine. If your video is in Full HD (1080p) or higher, it can be a good idea to increase the outline and shadows to 3 or 4 pixels.
The regular Arial font is also fine and very readable, but make sure you make the size fit the video resolution. For SD content (480p) sizes around 20-26 are usually good. For HD 720p content, it's better to go up around size 40. For Full HD 1080p content, you may need to use size 50 or 60.

2)
The style manager lets you create more than one style, so you can create different styles for different purposes:

You can then give each subtitle a different style:

Also notice how I have two subtitles with overlapping times, and they both show up, separately.
When you have overlapping subtitles, all lines that overlap with the current one are shown in red in the grid at the bottom. This is to remind you that they overlap, which could sometimes be a problem, but it's not an error.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Return to Aegisub Help