Aegisub loading subs and video is slow. How to make faster?

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Aegisub loading subs and video is slow. How to make faster?

Unread postby Someone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Anything can be done to speed up load of subs (parsing matroska) and video in aegisub?

It seems unusually slow as I just got a faster computer but it loaders slower than my older slower computer.
Someone
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Aegisub loading subs and video is slow. How to make fast

Unread postby jfs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I think video loading is generally I/O bound rather than CPU bound. I tried copying a 2 GB MKV file to my system drive (SSD) and then loading that for video in Aegisub. It didn't reach a full CPU core in utilization.

On the other hand, none of this has really been optimized and I don't think anyone has even looked at the performance characteristics of any of this code before.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Re: Aegisub loading subs and video is slow. How to make fast

Unread postby Someone » Sun May 14, 2017 2:32 am

Seems to be files I downloaded to computer via torrent load slowly, even when torrent client is turned off.

Files copied from different source or duplicated from original load very fast.
Someone
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Aegisub Help