shortcut for Play Current Line with Video

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

shortcut for Play Current Line with Video

Unread postby dearcheung » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 am

I would like to know the shortcut for this button ( the YELLOW circle one; play current line)

the Options tell me press HOME , I already press several time. It NOTHING happens
and I've tried to change another hotkey, it also nothing happens

how can I do??

My work has to type the-3rd language below the attached subtitles of the RAW video at the same time
I CANNOT only press R for playing ONLY AUDIO
I would like to SEE VIDEO and LISTEN AUDIO during timing the sub in the same time
what can I do?? ???

Thanks for you help
dearcheung
{\b1}
{\b1}

Re: shortcut for Play Current Line with Video

Unread postby renho » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:13 am

Yeah, that's frustrating that you can't assign R button to play video in addition to audio (optionally), when doing audio timing. Because there are often onscreen text and hardcoded captions that you don't want to miss. I usually have to do a second pass dragging a pressed middle mouse button across the whole audiotrack just to check the video.
renho
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby dearcheung » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 am

Oh I just know this tip from you
Thank you :D
so the HOME button doesn't work right?
renho wrote:Yeah, that's frustrating that you can't assign R button to play video in addition to audio (optionally), when doing audio timing. Because there are often onscreen text and hardcoded captions that you don't want to miss. I usually have to do a second pass dragging a pressed middle mouse button across the whole audiotrack just to check the video.
dearcheung
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby jfs » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:39 am

dearcheung wrote:Image

The groupings in the Hotkeys settings are called contexts, and they indicate what working situation the hotkey works in.
The hotkey you're showing here is in the Translation Assistant context, meaning that Home for playing video only works when the Translation Assistant is active.

The important thing here is that you can add your own hotkeys, and you can add them to any context.
1. Select the Default context (mark it in blue), and expand it
2. Click New
3. Press the key you want to use to play the line
4. Click over in the next field, where the command name goes
5. Write video/play/line as the command name
6. Done!

Just be careful adding hotkeys that also do other things to the Default context. For instance, if you add the Home key without any modifier like Shift or Ctrl, then you won't be able to press Home to jump the text cursor to the start of the line in the subtitle text editor. And even worse, if you bind an alphabet key you won't be able to write that letter at all.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby dearcheung » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:07 am

Oh I see
Thanks so much :D finally, it works !!!

jfs wrote:
dearcheung wrote:Image

The groupings in the Hotkeys settings are called contexts, and they indicate what working situation the hotkey works in.
The hotkey you're showing here is in the Translation Assistant context, meaning that Home for playing video only works when the Translation Assistant is active.

The important thing here is that you can add your own hotkeys, and you can add them to any context.
1. Select the Default context (mark it in blue), and expand it
2. Click New
3. Press the key you want to use to play the line
4. Click over in the next field, where the command name goes
5. Write video/play/line as the command name
6. Done!

Just be careful adding hotkeys that also do other things to the Default context. For instance, if you add the Home key without any modifier like Shift or Ctrl, then you won't be able to press Home to jump the text cursor to the start of the line in the subtitle text editor. And even worse, if you bind an alphabet key you won't be able to write that letter at all.
dearcheung
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby renho » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 pm

jfs, thank you, that was very helpful for me as well.
But I have a question: video/play/line and audio/play/selection both work, but when I try to create a shortcut for video/play/selection, I get an error. Is there a way to make it work too?
renho
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby jfs » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 pm

renho wrote:jfs, thank you, that was very helpful for me as well.
But I have a question: video/play/line and audio/play/selection both work, but when I try to create a shortcut for video/play/selection, I get an error. Is there a way to make it work too?

There isn't any command with that name, and there can't really be because there isn't any "selection" on the video.

I'm guessing you want video to try and follow audio playback, and that (still) isn't possible. But try using the middle mouse button (wheel button) on the audio display, that should seek the video to where you middle-clicked.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby Whatgiveslight » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:48 am

Dear jfs, I've read your instruction a couple of times and did everything in the right order. I tried different contexts, different shortkeys (like Alt + J, Ctrl + J, Ctrl + P). I even tried to reassign the existing shortkey (Alt + P) for this purpose.
I have not been able to to play current line (video) with a shortkey, not a single time. All other shortkeys work and in different combinations, like the button for video/play, I was able to reassign it and it works.

What can it be? It just takes so much time to drag the mouse each time :(
Whatgiveslight
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Unread postby jfs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

You created a new hotkey for the "video/play/line" command, placed in in the Default context, and it still doesn't work? Then I have no idea.
jfs
Developer

Return to Aegisub Help