NO AUDIO

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

NO AUDIO

Unread postby survivor0477 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Video and everything works fine, but there's no audio. I have no problems with my videos on WMP and others and my codecs are up to date. What can be wrong?
survivor0477
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: NO AUDIO

Unread postby jfs » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:34 am

What do you mean?

If you use the Video menu to load a video, and then push the "play" button by the video, then no audio will play. That is intended behaviour.

If you load audio from the Audio menu, you should then get the audio display, showing a representation of the audio you opened.
You should then be able to play that audio and use it for timing subtitles against.

When you have both video and audio loaded in this way, pushing the video "play" button will then play back both video and audio at the same time.

I'm thinking you're just hitting the first thing, loading video without having loaded audio. I agree it's confusing, but it's the best compromise we can give right now. We have previously tried making Aegisub play audio directly from a loaded video without loading the audio beforehand, and it caused all sorts of instabilities and desyncs.
If you do try to load audio, but it somehow fails, please elaborate. Does it then fail to load at all, does it load incorrectly, or maybe it does load but plays back as silence (or playback causes an error message.)
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby gcarterm » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 am

Ok, I understand that it's necessary to load an audio file to hear audio, but suppose I'm editing the subtitles on an .mp4 file. Where is the audio on it? It's just one file. What is the procedure for getting sound from this one .mp4 file?

Thanks
gcarterm
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Unread postby jfs » Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm not sure why you're responding to a 6 years old thread, but I'll try to address your problem.

Usually an MP4 file with will contain both video and audio muxed together. Aegisub can read both parts from the file, and current versions will even do that automatically, if you use Video > Open Video in Aegisub.
Otherwise, you can always choose Audio > Load Audio and pick the file that contains your audio. It can even be a video file you choose there, as long as it contains one or more audio tracks as well.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby gcarterm » Wed May 03, 2017 3:23 am

Thanks for the reply "to a 6 year old thread." Hey, I just began using Aegisub, so the thread is new to me. The computer at my friend's house, where I'm having difficulties, is the problem. At my house, I simply load the mp4 file and add an .srt. Works great here. I loaded the lav filters, but still no sound. Maybe it's a Windows 10, 64-bit problem. I guess I'll head over to Doom. Thanks again.
gcarterm
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Aegisub Help