Arabic editing

Don't know how to do something? Having issues running the program? Please post here.

Arabic editing

Unread postby UNForces » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm currently running Aegisub 3.0.4 on Ubuntu 13.04 working on an Arabic subtitles project.
Arabic letters are displayed correctly, but the problem appears when trying to edit the subtitles in the Edit Box window; I put the cursor on a specific position, however the typing appears in a different one.
(A video can be accessed from http://www.filedropper.com/aegisubediting [File extension is not allowed in attachments])

Notes:
1- Tried googling the problem, but all I found was about the position of Arabic punctuation marks here.
http://devel.aegisub.org/ticket/1189
2- Tried the same Aegisub version on both Windows 7 and Wine 1.6, the same outcome.
UNForces
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Arabic editing

Unread postby jfs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Without watching the video, this sounds like the same problem as the one with automatic ligatures that can happen with English text. The text control doesn't correctly keep the displayed cursor and internal position updated relatively to each other, or maybe just draws the cursor at the wrong position.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby UNForces » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:52 pm

jfs wrote:Without watching the video, this sounds like the same problem as the one with automatic ligatures that can happen with English text. The text control doesn't correctly keep the displayed cursor and internal position updated relatively to each other, or maybe just draws the cursor at the wrong position.

1- Is there some kind of a workaround?
2- Should I submit a bug report? or from what you said it seems like a known issue; could you please link me to the bug number?
3- You said that it can happen with English text; I have been using Aegisub for a couple of months now and never encountered it with English text. Are you sure it's not related to RTL text?
UNForces
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Unread postby jfs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:05 am

Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby UNForces » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for the link :)
1- A 3-yo bug and still open? do you think there's a probability of getting this fixed?
2- The bug report suggests " Switching to a different font that doesn't have OpenType ligatures". Could you help with that? Names of such fonts. I didn't find any meaningful search results.
UNForces
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Unread postby jfs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:33 am

From my understanding of how Arabic languages are handled by TrueType and OpenType fonts, there is no way around the issue. Maybe you can find an input method that produces the legacy "presentation forms" codepoints instead, that may work, but it's not a nice solution.
I think you get "ligatures" (not really, rather multiple codepoints transforming into single glyphs based on rules in the font definition) for things like vowel marks at least, but my knowledge of Arabic languages is too little to be able to point out the specific things that might exhibit the problem.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby DavidMoen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 pm

I know this is an old post, but I think this is still a real problem... I've created a lua Automation script to help with edit Arabic text in Aegisub. It opens the selected line in a TextBox editor that seems to handle RTL (right-to-left) text better than the Edit Box in Aegisub. I've only tried it on Windows, but it includes the right-click menu with unicode control characters just like in notepad. I can't seem to find a way to adjust the font size of the text in the TextBox, that would be helpful since it is a bit small.
Attachments
Edit RTL Text.lua
A TextBox editor that seems to handle RTL text better than the Edit Box in Aegisub.
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
DavidMoen
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby AmjadSONY » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

DavidMoen wrote:I know this is an old post, but I think this is still a real problem... I've created a lua Automation script to help with edit Arabic text in Aegisub. It opens the selected line in a TextBox editor that seems to handle RTL (right-to-left) text better than the Edit Box in Aegisub. I've only tried it on Windows, but it includes the right-click menu with unicode control characters just like in notepad. I can't seem to find a way to adjust the font size of the text in the TextBox, that would be helpful since it is a bit small.

yes, it's still problem, thank you, I will try it :)
AmjadSONY
{\b1}
{\b1}

Return to Aegisub Help