How can I make a gradient effect for karaoke?

Discuss and get help for karaoke effect creation here

How can I make a gradient effect for karaoke?

Unread postby arthurfogo7 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 am

I'm trying hard to make one, but I just can't figure it out. The only way to make something like that, at least that I know, is by using \clips in the line only using \k as "effect". But what I want is something like while the syllables are jumping, for example, the colors are changing in a "gradient way". Can someone help me with that, explaining how can I do that.
My best example for this is the effect that this guy made that the syllables are changing colors but not the whole syllable with just one color, but a gradient. That is what I'm aiming for. https://www.facebook.com/groups/karaeff ... 323077659/
arthurfogo7
{\move}
{\move}

Re: How can I make a gradient effect for karaoke?

Unread postby LeSaint » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 am

Hello arthusfogo7,

You're right, the only way to do a gradient is using \clip tags, so the result will require a lot of computing (I doubt you'll be able to play the karaoke in softsub).

I can't see your example, maybe you could find something outside of facebook.

To work with gradient and color change, I can think of 2 ways to do it:
- First, use \clip to create the gradient with specific colors, and calculate the time to change the color (you'll have to calculate the position and duration of each slice)
- Second, instead of several lines per clip, you can use \t tag to animate the color change.

In both cases, you'll have to calculate pretty much everything: slices position, duration, color

To help you, you can have a look on these:
- Youka lua macro collection: https://github.com/Youka/Macol -> especially the acceleration script to split a \move to several single frame lines. This could help to calculate the position and duration of each frame
- ai-chan's gradient factory: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1401&hilit=gradient+factory#p5627 -> as mentioned in the first post, using gradients with karaoke effects is close to impossible. Here, you'll have to understand the code, and you a similar version for your karaoke. I'd say that the effects you could consider with gradient are only \K like effect for the text, only \fad effect for line-in and line-out effects, and possibly an additional shape moving around the syllables (as this kind of effects are independent of the syllable effects).

=> At the end, you'll have to define your own lua function to generate the code for each line, and you'll need to master the karaoke templater (code once, code line, template line, repeat function, etc...).
You can read more about the karaoke templater here: http://docs.aegisub.org/3.2/Automation/ ... Templater/
You can read more about Lua 5.2 here: https://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html

I hope you created some advanced karaoke with aegisub before this one, because this is going to be a great challenge.

Good luck with this :)
LeSaint

Unread postby arthurfogo7 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:22 pm

Something like the karaoke in the image, is that hard too?
I was thinking if it would work to apply a gradient effect in the lines before applying the template, copy each \clip from it and pasting in the lines after applying the template.
Because creating something from zero is kinda of hard for me. But really thank you for the help!
arthurfogo7
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby LeSaint » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pm

Well, I think this kind of effect is pretty hard with ass format (maybe impossible with reasonable efforts).
The gradient is resized with the syllable, this means you'll have to calculate the syllable size (per frame) before creating the gradient.

I think that this effect has probably been made using After Effect.

Maybe you could think of a simpler effect for your karaoke? Maybe a \K along with the resize would be a nice effect (and much simpler)?

Good luck,
LeSaint
LeSaint

Return to Karaoke