Feature request: Show words per minute (WPM) for each line?

For submission of patches, language translations, discussing implementation of some feature, etc.

Feature request: Show words per minute (WPM) for each line?

Unread postby draik » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Psycholinguistics research shows that the human brain processes words as single units, and that not all characters that make up words are actually read.

Therefore, the actual reading speed of a human being is calculated in words per minute (WPM). In other words, it's actually the WPM, not the characters per second (CPS), that tells us if a subtitle is too fast to be read. Is it possible to add a WPM count feature for each subtitle line in Aegisub?

I think that allowing the user to choose to display the WPM count in addition to/instead of the CPS would be a great addition to an already software, since this feature would provide the user with a more sensible indicator of the readability of his/her subtitles :)
draik
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Re: Feature request: Show words per minute (WPM) for each li

Unread postby jfs » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:32 am

There's a fine argument for WPM as an alternative for CPS. The only thing to really watch out for is languages where mechanically counting words is difficult, such as Chinese and Japanese, and possibly more that don't use regular inter-word spaces. Although there is probably no reason to really handle those as special cases, if you're working with subtitles in those languages you just switch (back) to CPS manually.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Return to Development