Transparent box background artifcats with two lines subtitle

For submission of patches, language translations, discussing implementation of some feature, etc.

Transparent box background artifcats with two lines subtitle

Unread postby sup » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 pm

If you want to set your subtitles onto a box that is not opaque but semi-transparent, you can easily do it with aegisub as per here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2587 ... 2_25880038

However, if the subtitles contain more then one line, there is an ugly artifact. In the link above, they say it is a bug in libass. However, the aegisub bug tracker is down now, where could I report it? Is it likely to get fixed? (I looked at aegisub github account and there do not seem to be a lot of commits lately)
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Re: Transparent box background artifcats with two lines subt

Unread postby jfs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:09 pm

It's a bug in the "specification". The format was effectively specified to work that way some 12-15 years ago, and changing it would potentially make someone's subtitles stop looking right.

The workaround is to manually create a box or other shape with the drawing commands, and make sure it's layered below the subtitles. This can be automated, although I'm not sure if anything for it exists already.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby sup » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 pm

I know that I can draw a box, but I would like the box to be displayed only when subtitles are displayed. I guess I could script something that would draw the box only when the subtitles are displayed (and that would also be only as big as the subtitles are) but that is a bit complicated (I use VLC for this but that is not very flexible nor fast).

Could not the specification of the format be updated with a new Borderstyle? If I look correctly, "3" means a box. So, for example, "5" could mean "box without tha artifact". That would be backwards compatible, woudln't it?
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby jfs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Well yes you could add a new border style that would be "like 3 but more sensible", then you'd just have people with old renderers getting no borders at all. I think.

Either way, it's not really something that starts with Aegisub. Your best bets for getting in contact with current developers that touch VSFilter and libass would be the MPC-HC, VLC, and mpv projects.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby sup » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Ok, thanks, I filed a bug here: https://github.com/libass/libass/issues/268

It is a pity ASS v. 5.0 is not happening as it seems:-(
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby sup » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:19 pm

Turns out setting BorderStyle=4 actually accomplishes what I want when using libass!
sup
{\b1}
{\b1}

Return to Development