Will the ass spec ever be updated?

For submission of patches, language translations, discussing implementation of some feature, etc.

Will the ass spec ever be updated?

Unread postby enchant » Tue May 31, 2016 2:27 pm

I realize that Aegisub is only one of many programs that utilize the ass spec and must adhere to its features and limitations, but is there any group that is in charge of setting this spec and coming out with a new set of features? I assume this is sort of like css. Once a new spec becomes official, all browsers must be rewritten to properly display the new and updated tags.

Is ass anything like this? Might we ever see any new features? Tops on my list would be accelerated movement, but there are several things I'd love to see.
enchant
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Re: Will the ass spec ever be updated?

Unread postby jfs » Tue May 31, 2016 3:52 pm

There is a small group working on an updated/new format in conjunction with the libass project. I don't know the current status, however.
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby Youka » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:18 pm

The libass wiki refers to an ASS update, version 5. But it seems nobody cares anymore for over one and a half year.
Personally i tried to bring a new format, but team members vanished and there's barely enough interest in community for motivation.

Most subbers don't need a new format, others just export jobs to other programs and the rest rather works against people who want to change sth. than supporting them.
While ASS is totally enough for dialogs, typesets and karaoke are better done by video editing programs, so there's a split and everyone is happy that way.
Youka

Unread postby enchant » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Is there a popular video editing program that doesn't have a massive learning curve and/or pricetag? I'd hate to buy and learn Photoshop if all I needed was an image cropping tool. Same is true for video editing.

The bane of my typesetting has always been keeping the sign where it should be on the video. A prime example of this is when the camera is showing a text message on a handheld phone that's moving all over the place.
enchant
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Unread postby amayra » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Youka wrote:The libass wiki refers to an ASS update, version 5. But it seems nobody cares anymore for over one and a half year.
Personally i tried to bring a new format, but team members vanished and there's barely enough interest in community for motivation.

Most subbers don't need a new format, others just export jobs to other programs and the rest rather works against people who want to change sth. than supporting them.
While ASS is totally enough for dialogs, typesets and karaoke are better done by video editing programs, so there's a split and everyone is happy that way.

think we need to get rid of VSFilter emulation/quirks
amayra
Comic Sans MS
Comic Sans MS

Return to Development