Aegisub PPA for Ubuntu

For submission of patches, language translations, discussing implementation of some feature, etc.

Re: Aegisub 3 PPA for Ubuntu

Unread postby djcj » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Ubuntu packaging is serious business. O0

Shimapan wrote:Packages ending in -dev (or -development) are always packages which contain the header files and source of the program. You need to name it differently. Naming it "aegisub-unstable" would be a good idea.
I know what -dev packages are. But I don't know any "-development" package. That's why I called it like that. Nevertheless, renaming it to "aegisub-unstable" sounds like a good idea. Or perhaps -trunk or -master. But for now I leave it like it is.

Shimapan wrote:What are you talking about? There is no final release 3.2.0 yet. The current final stable release is 3.1.2.
I think you didn't get what I meant. You said naming it 3.2.0+git would be correct ("No, r8070 would be 3.2.0+git8070"), but apt would recognize it as a higher number as "3.2.0" which - as you said - isn't released yet. And that's why I renamed the package, so I could use a different version number. And it doesn't conflict with the regular package, so there's no need for a seperate repository.

And the revision number is not the same as the Git version number. You can get the git number with this command:
Code: Select all
git log -n 1 --pretty="format:%h"
svn and hg use a different way of versioning, that's why svn numbers are so short and hg numbers are much longer than git numbers.

edit:

Package is renamed. To install the current dev version (r8115), run:
sudo apt-get purge aegisub-development
sudo apt-get install aegisub-unstable
Last edited by djcj on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portable builds for Linux
embed-ass - a shell script to embed fonts into or extract from ass files
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Shimapan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:39 am

djcj wrote:I think you didn't get what I meant. You said naming it 3.2.0+git would be correct ("No, r8070 would be 3.2.0+git8070"), but apt would recognize it as a higher number as "3.2.0" which - as you said - isn't released yet. And that's why I renamed the package, so I could use a different version number. And it doesn't conflict with the regular package, so there's no need for a seperate repository.

Package is renamed.

I think you don't get what I meant.
The development (unstable) versions are versions of the upcoming 3.2.0 branch. Development always takes place on the highest branch, "trunk".
Before Aegisub 3.0 came out, development was taking place on the 3.0 branch. With the final release of 3.0, the development was branched and the 3.1 branch was created, so ongoing development was now taking place on the 3.1 branch. With the final release of 3.1, the development was branched again and ongoing development is now taking place on the 3.2 branch. Once 3.2 final will be released, development will take place on the 3.3 branch. In short, the ongoing development is always taking place on a branch that is one number higher than the last final (stable) release.
You can see an example of a branch diagram here:
https://launchpad.net/bzr

Therefore, the development version needs to be properly named as belonging to the 3.2 development branch.
Your hypothetical assumption of how a 3.2 final package would be treated is totally pointless, because there's no 3.2 final package as of yet. Even if there was, the development (unstable) version and the final (stable) version are two different packages.

It's good to see you renamed it to "aegisub-unstable" now, but the version numbering is totally off. The revision number is no version number by itself. You first need to identify it as belonging to the 3.2 development branch, followed by one of two things:

3.2.0+git8110 (revision number)

3.2.0+git6e41d24 (git number for r8110)

Using the git number however is not such a good idea imo, because you can't see what revision it refers to and have to look it up on this page.
Linux x64 packages for Aegisub 3 (3.2.0 final - 2014-07-29)
http://erokawaii.org/linux
Shimapan
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Unread postby djcj » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 am

tl;dr
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Corvus123 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm

The launcher is also still named development version.
Corvus123
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby djcj » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:15 pm

Corvus123 wrote:The launcher is also still named development version.

Should I rename to "Aegisub (Unstable)" or "Aegisub (rXXXX)"? The desktop file however is called "aegisub-unstable.desktop". I thought keeping the menu entry like it was is okay. Just tell me what name you would prefer and I'll rename it in the next release.

@Shima: Make a Launchpad account and do it right then. I'll keep numbering it only by the revision bumber. Y'know, it's free software, maybe I get into the mood to fork it and release it under a different name with strange, random version numbers.

edit:

Okay, I'll change it to "Aegisub (Unstable)" then. But r8127 won't build so I'll wait for the next release.
Last edited by djcj on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Corvus123 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 pm

djcj wrote:Should I rename to "Aegisub (Unstable)" or "Aegisub (rXXXX)"?

Well, you would usually expect the shortcut to be named like the package, so Unstable is fine.
Corvus123
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby Shimapan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 pm

djcj wrote:@Shima: Make a Launchpad account and do it right then.

I've already created a launchpad account a good while back :P
https://launchpad.net/~shimapan

I found that creating Launchpad packages is too much of a hassle though, so I chose to compile them locally and upload them to my webpage instead.
Shimapan
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Unread postby Shimapan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 am

A "done right" package of r8131 is now available at the usual place:
http://erokawaii.org/linux/

This is how it should look like:

This package also allows installation alongside Aegisub 2, mostly for the "Sort by time" function which allows sorting all dialogue lines by their timecode. For whatever reason this function is still missing from Aegisub 3.
Shimapan
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Unread postby jfs » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:07 am

Shimapan wrote:This package also allows installation alongside Aegisub 2, mostly for the "Sort by time" function which allows sorting all dialogue lines by their timecode. For whatever reason this function is still missing from Aegisub 3.

No, it was rather expanded to sort by several more things:
Do not PM me asking for help with Aegisub, Automation, karaoke or anything like that, I won't reply.
Ask your questions in the public forums. Use the Search function, somebody probably asked the same question before.
All rights reserved to call you insults if you ask poorly thought out or redundant questions.
Experimenting is free and is a great way to learn things.
jfs
Developer

Unread postby djcj » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:15 pm

@Shimapan: I still wonder why packages like x264 use the actual git hash as their "git*" version number rather than a revision number (x264 2:0.123.2189+git35cf912-1ubuntu1).
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Shimapan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:58 pm

jfs wrote:
Shimapan wrote:This package also allows installation alongside Aegisub 2, mostly for the "Sort by time" function which allows sorting all dialogue lines by their timecode. For whatever reason this function is still missing from Aegisub 3.

No, it was rather expanded to sort by several more things:
http://puu.sh/7WGu0.png

So that's where it disappered to... never checked the submenus XD
All's well then on that front.

djcj wrote:@Shimapan: I still wonder why packages like x264 use the actual git hash as their "git*" version number rather than a revision number (x264 2:0.123.2189+git35cf912-1ubuntu1).

That's because the x264 package maintainer prefers to use the git hash over the revision number. As I wrote above, of course I could use "3.2.0+git93cb1ca" instead of "3.2.0+git8131" for r8131, but that would be very uninformative, as you couldn't see which revision number 93cb1ca refers to without looking it up.
Shimapan
{\clip\t(\clip)}
{\clip\t(\clip)}

Unread postby djcj » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Version 3.1.3 is now available at the PPA. Changelog
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Corvus123 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Hey, can you make aegisub-unstable generate it's own config folder instead of using $HOME/.aegisub? That would make it possible to use the separate automation folders (among other things). This is critical after the recent macro updates, unless you like random scripts failing or having to swith paths manually every time until the stable version updates.
Corvus123
{\b1}
{\b1}

Unread postby djcj » Wed May 28, 2014 1:56 pm

Corvus123 wrote:Hey, can you make aegisub-unstable generate it's own config folder instead of using $HOME/.aegisub? That would make it possible to use the separate automation folders (among other things). This is critical after the recent macro updates, unless you like random scripts failing or having to swith paths manually every time until the stable version updates.

That's a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

edit:

aegisub-unstable now saves its configs in $HOME/.aegisub-unstable.
I will include this patch in all future builds:
--- a/libaegisub/unix/path.cpp
+++ b/libaegisub/unix/path.cpp
@@ -42,8 +42,8 @@
 void Path::FillPlatformSpecificPaths() {
 #ifndef __APPLE__
    agi::fs::path home = home_dir();
-   SetToken("?user", home/".aegisub");
-   SetToken("?local", home/".aegisub");
+   SetToken("?user", home/".aegisub-unstable");
+   SetToken("?local", home/".aegisub-unstable");
    SetToken("?data", P_DATA);
 #else
    agi::fs::path app_support = agi::util::GetApplicationSupportDirectory();
djcj
{\move}
{\move}

Unread postby Corvus123 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:58 pm

djcj wrote:
Corvus123 wrote:Hey, can you make aegisub-unstable generate it's own config folder instead of using $HOME/.aegisub? That would make it possible to use the separate automation folders (among other things). This is critical after the recent macro updates, unless you like random scripts failing or having to swith paths manually every time until the stable version updates.

That's a good idea. I'll see what I can do.

edit:

aegisub-unstable now saves its configs in $HOME/.aegisub-unstable.
I will include this patch in all future builds:
--- a/libaegisub/unix/path.cpp
+++ b/libaegisub/unix/path.cpp
@@ -42,8 +42,8 @@
 void Path::FillPlatformSpecificPaths() {
 #ifndef __APPLE__
    agi::fs::path home = home_dir();
-   SetToken("?user", home/".aegisub");
-   SetToken("?local", home/".aegisub");
+   SetToken("?user", home/".aegisub-unstable");
+   SetToken("?local", home/".aegisub-unstable");
    SetToken("?data", P_DATA);
 #else
    agi::fs::path app_support = agi::util::GetApplicationSupportDirectory();

Nice work! However, the default config still links the automation folders to /usr/share/aegisub/automation, via the "?data" token. Might want to make those paths explicit for the unstable builds.
Corvus123
{\b1}
{\b1}

PreviousNext

Return to Development